With the spread of new technologies and smartphones, now everyone knows and uses WhatsApp, the most popular free messaging application in the world.
As known, this tool allows users to send and receive chats and voice messages in an incredibly intuitive and immediate way.
In case of problems with people who use WhatsApp to stalking how it is possible to use the messages of this person in the trial by giving it a probative value?
Two ex-boyfriends exchange messages via WhatsApp.
The woman denounces the ex-boyfriend for persecutory acts (stalking) and the first problem he faces is how to give probative value to his ex’s WhatsApp messages, so that they can be brought to court.
The acquisition of WhatsApp messages, for purposes of proof, should be made by a technical consultant specializing in computer forensics with dedicated software – this operation consists in executing the forensic acquisition of the smartphone and must enjoy the principle of completeness (therefore it must contain all data not only the conversation of procedural interest), must then be followed by the analysis of the device (to document how the data are reliable and to detect all the useful data) and a technical report which illustrates the methodologies used and isolated only the data of procedural interest, facilitating the work of judges and lawyers.
This activity, however, has high costs, on average we start from € 1500 upwards.
A valid alternative to the forensic acquisition of the smartphone is the use of an app that allows the acquisition of the smartphone screen with forensic mode, such as to be able to take as a valid test the screenshot in court.
The app in question is called FAS and can be downloaded from Google Play.
FAS is designed to be used even by the less experienced user to collect digital tests independently from their smartphone, at any time of the day. It is not necessary to be an IT expert to acquire the proof; just install the FAS App, start it and start taking pictures on the screen of your phone; the rest thinks all FAS.
The screenshots will be crystallized and sent to the FAS Server infrastructure with all the contents necessary to certify the acquisition. With a simple “tap” the whole acquisition procedure is monitored, crystallized, saved and authenticated.
The proof acquired through the FAS App is technically genuine and reliable. The value of the digital test is based on how it is acquired: in order for a digital data to become proof, it is necessary to guarantee certainty and conformity between the forensic acquisition performed and the data present on the smartphone.
The proof acquired by the FAS App, together with the Server infrastructure used, and advanced security implementations is absent from the possibility of counterfeiting the acquired elements. The proof, therefore, is genuine and reliable and immediately presentable in court or extra-judicial.
GUIDE TO THE USE OF FAS
- Download the FAS app with alphabetic manual search from Google Play and install FAS (Yellow FAS icon)
- The first operation to perform is to enter user credentials (for users already registered). In the main screen click on the SETTINGS button, the Settings window will be shown.
- For new users it is necessary to register by clicking on the NEW ACCOUNT button, the FAS website will be opened and the identification data will be entered. With the new automatic registration, 5 free acquisitions are available immediately.
- After registration, enter the App and always in the Settings window enter the login credentials (e-mail address and password), then click on SAVE AND EXIT and then start the acquisition.
- In the main window of the App it is advisable to indicate a Case ID in order to be able to more easily search for the acquisitions made. As Case ID you can use any alphanumeric character up to a maximum length of 16 characters (for example you can indicate the RGNR procedure number or your sequential practice number).
- To start capturing the screenshot press the START CAPTURE button (allow any access required by the device in use).
- When the FAS App is in capture mode, the shutter button will appear, which can be moved to the desired position on the screen so as not to cover the screen to be scanned (for example on a blank part of the screen or on the part of the sheet, the button shutter also remains impressed in the photo of the screenshot).
- To save the screenshot touch the shutter button, it will turn yellow and start the acquisition, during the acquisition phase the main window of the FAS App will be reopened and in the lower part appear messages indicating the operations in progress. The acquisition ends when the message ACQUISITION COMPLETED SUCCESFULLY appears.
- The check of the local acquisition is performed by opening the folder in which the files were saved by clicking on the OPEN FOLDER ACQUISITION button.
- The verification of the acquisition on FAS Server (necessary for legal use) is performed by clicking on the GO TO ACQUISITION SERVER button and entering the access credentials.
- To continue with the next acquisition, go back to step 6.
THE SCREENSHOT PROBATORY VALUE
The screenshot captured by your smartphone and stored in the FAS server has a significant probative value for procedural purposes, since the acquisition made can not be altered or modified in any way.
A simple screenshot made with other applications is not considered reliable because it can easily be altered. FAS certifies the screenshots by storing them in the server and connecting it with an XML file containing a series of data from the device from which the acquisition was made.
The procedure for acquiring screenshots with FAS is very simple and fast and allows an obvious saving of time and costs, contrary to the normal acquisitions made by specialized technical consultants who need medium-long times and require very high financial outlays.
On the FAS server it is possible to validate the acquisitions by accessing the address www.fasproject.app/en/acquisitions and verifying dates, times, hash and information on the device from which the screenshot was performed.
Acquisitions remain saved on FAS servers for three years from the date of acquisition. If longer archiving over time is required (for example, due to a court proceeding), an extension of the storage duration of the acquisition on the server can be purchased.
FAS OFFICIAL WEBSITE
On the official FAS website www.fasproject.app you can find further information and details.